Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Saturday interacted with university students in Delhi, ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
He addressed the students at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium at ‘Shiksha Dasha aur Disha’ event.
While batting for more allocation of money to education, Gandhi said that he is committed to increase higher education institutions in North Eastern states.
Launching an attack on the Modi government, Gandhi drew comparison between the number of institutions opened under the UPA regime and under the present regime.
“When we were in power during UPA I and UPA II, we opened more than 20 universities. You know how many universities were opened in last 5 years? One,” Gandhi said.
He also said that the government should support education by making bank loans easier, scholarships, adding more universities, pushing enrolment etc.
Rejecting a rigid structure of education, the Congress chief said that he believed in empowering students.
The Gandhi scion also said that leadership should guide the nation.
“If the PM of India condemns the atmosphere of hatred, then naturally the anger in the nation will diminish. Leadership should guide the nation,” he said.
Gandhi also said that the crisis of employment has to be tacked to remove anger in the society.
“I recently visited the families of martyrs. In my journey to Shamli, I interacted with many youngsters, and many stated that they are not employed. We should solve the employment crisis to remove anger in the society,” he said.
Apart from education, Gandhi also attacked the government on various issues such as unemployment, demonetisation, Rafale scam etc.
Here are some of the statements from his interaction:
- For the last 5 years, ₹3,50,000Cr worth loans of 15-20 big businesses has been waived off. There is a concentration of wealth taking place in India. We are fundamentally against that
- I do not believe that China cannot be challenged. If this country turns around, makes up its mind, then no one can defeat our nation
- Our current government does not even want to accept that there is employment crisis
- If you look at the history of this country, and look at the philosophy of Gandhi, Mahaveer, Buddha, Ashoka, they all preached love and non-violence. This was the same philosophy when I hugged Mr. Modi, while he was abusing me and my family
- RTI should be enforced uniformally in judiciary, press and individual bureaucrats, not just political parties. There are multiple ways in which you can attack corruption- Lokpal Bill is one of them. We implemented RTI to increase transparency and curb corruption. Today RTI has been demolished under Modi govt
- Biggest corruption occurs in real estate. In UP, 3000 acres land was taken away from farmers for race track. We introduced Land Acquisition Bill to curb this acquisition of land without consent from farmers
- One day the truth will come out- Demonetisation was the biggest scam in India
- Whether you like me or not, I want to leave with a message, whoever you are supporting should have the guts to stand in front of you and talk to you. If he doesn’t do that, then you need to question why he doesn’t have the guts to come here